OYO INSIGHT’s Publisher, Sikiru Akinola, profiles Adedapo Lam-Adesina, who is one of the three sons of late former governor Lamidi Onaolapo Adesina of Oyo State, who clocks 40 today.
Popularly called DLA or Anabi Felele, he was born on October 25th, 1978, one year before his father, who would later become Oyo State Governor, was elected into the House of Representatives.
He was at the prestigious Government College Ibadan, GCI, before he proceeded to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering at The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Eruwa campus. The journey was bried as he later got admission to study Agricultural and Environmental Engineering at the University of Ibadan.
After school, he worked briefly as an undergraduate at Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN) and later at Stabillini Visinoni (a sister company of Bi -Courtney Construction Company) in Lagos. He later moved to the Ministry of Agriculture, Enugu State.
Politics At Age 22
In 1998, during the period of a successful transition from military to civilian rule, he decided to join politics. Seven years after, in 2005, he broke the jinx of student apathy to voting and elections on campus when students trooped out en mass to elect him president of his departmental association- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering Students’ Society, AEESS, in what was judged the election with the most impressive turnout. His slogan “It makes sense” was the talk of the town.
Two years after, in 2007, he advanced his career into the Oil & Gas industry with a flair for farming. He was a partner in a company named Skipet Oil Ltd which does supply of diesel to end users until 2011, when he took up public service job.
In 2011, he contested the the Ibadan North East/ South East seat in the House of Representatives but he lost. He was nominated as commissioner. During the first term of Governor Abiola Ajimobi, he was commissioner twice- first in the ministry of youth and sports and later in the ministry of science, industry and technology.
In 2015 again, he sought election into the lower chamber of the National Assembly and was successful, a position he holds till date.
He Wanted To Be A Footballer
He was a striker for different clubs at different times and in fact at some point he was looking forward to being a footballer but ended up as an engineer and now he is into politics.
“It was quite eventful. I can remember how I used to play football then. I was a striker for different clubs at different times and in fact at some point I was looking forward to being a footballer but I ended up as an engineer and now I am into politics. That is the work of God.”
Adapting To Life In Government House
He said: “That wasn’t very difficult because my father was a disciplinarian even though he wasn’t to the extreme. It was easy for me then to adjust since I was already in the University of Ibadan. It was more of a normal period for me until some known Ibadan politicians, for selfish reasons, came up with lies about my person. They said I was involved in an accident because I was drunk. I really felt bad because I have never tasted alcohol since I was born. That only showed the extent that some people can go in order to get to power. But I thank God that by now, a lot of people already know me as a responsible and competent politician.”
Coping With Friends As Governor’s Son
“There were those who were just around me then because of what they thought they could get. But like I said earlier, my father was a disciplinarian. At no point in time was I involved in governance nor did I get contracts either for myself or for any of my friends. Some fair-weather friends disappeared but others who believed in me stood by me.”
Motivation For Joining Politics
“I was motivated by the need to offer service to the people. When I was in the University of Ibadan, I was the president of my departmental association and sometimes I used my pocket money to execute projects for students.”
At First, Lam Was Not Comfortable…
“He obviously didn’t feel so comfortable with the idea but I still insisted on going into it. When I indicated my intention to contest in 2011, I discovered that he wasn’t totally in support. But being a man who doesn’t give up on whatever I believe in, I made him to see reason with me. I am sure he would be proud of me right now. May God forgive his sins and grant him eternal rest. He was such a wonderful, uncommon and selfless man.”
Life As A Commissioner
“I was very excited because all I was looking for was an opportunity to showcase the talent inherent in me and to also convince the older generation that the youths have come of age and that we can deliver if given the chance. So immediately the governor nominated me, I swung into action. My humble achievements are still there for everybody to see in Oyo State till today.
A ‘Boring Human Being’ Who Prefers To Work Hard
”I am a very boring human being as I prefer to work very hard. There are always a lot of things to catch up on as regards my job and the fact that I promised my constituents a lot while campaigning. That is what is paramount on my mind.
Love For Charity, Philantrophy…
He loves the less privileged and the motherless. He is a partner in Project Lots which takes care of the less privileged and street kids in the society.
In December 2008, he took father Christmas to the motherless babies homes and to the rural areas in Ibadan which includes Beere, Ojaoba, Oje,Idi-arere, Bode, Molete, Imalefalafia all to make the less privileged know they are important. A party was also held for them at Nustreams centre, Alalubosa GRA, Ibadan. Since 2008, he has been celebrating his birthday at the Ibadan Motherless babies home.
Positions He Has Held
• Member representing Ibadan North East/ South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives ( 2015 – Till date).
• Honourable Commissioner for Industry, Applied Science and Technology, Oyo state (Sept 2013 till date).
• Honourable Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Oyo state (Aug 2011 – Sept 2013).
• Advisory Board Member, Youth Advocator Networks.
• Patron, FRSC RS11.32.
• Coordinator, Oyo State Project Lot “feed 1000 kids” (2008)
• Co-Founder/President, Future Initiative Nigeria Organization.
• President, AEE Students’ Society (2005)
• President Student’s Liberation Forum (SLF), Ibadan.
• Member Industrial Training coordinating centre, Student committee, UI chapter (2004)
• Chairman Finance committee, AEE Students’ Society. (2001/2002)
• President, Alliance for Democracy(AD) Youth wing, Ibarapa East Local Govt (1999)
• Pioneer Secretary, Alliance for Democracy(AD) Youth wing, Ibarapa East Local Govt (1998-1999)
As the Honourable Commissioner for Youth and Sport, He was able to achieve the following:
• Increased Salaries of Athletes and Coaches from 12,000 to 30,000 and 15,000 to 40,000 respectively. (Sept 2013)
•Awarded the renovation of the Oyo State Executive Gymnasium and the Oyo State Youth Centre at Ososami. (Aug 2013)
• Increase in revenue of all agencies under the Ministry.
• Crown FC Ogbomosho got promoted to the Premier League. (Aug 2013)
• Increased the number of Contract athletes and coaches from 133 to 242. (Sept 2013)
•Renovated the Commissioner’s office, reception of the Ministry and the frontage of the Ministry.(May 2013)
• Procured Laptops and desktop computers for officers of the Ministry(May 2013)
• 2nd Edition of the Re branded and Resuscitated Governor’s Cup. (27th May, 2013).
• 2nd Edition of Oyo State Job and Entrepreneurship Fair with Skill Acquisition and Settlement Scheme where 273 youth were empowered and hundreds employed. (May, 2013).This and other youth empowerment programmes made the bureau of statistics to upgrade Oyo State from tenth to fourth position in the 2012 Nigeria Unemployment rate data.
• 100% Increase in Athletes’ Reward for the Oyo State Contingents at the last National Sports Festival ‘EKO 2012’. (1st March, 2013)
• Renovation of the Lekan Salami Indoor Sports Hall.
• 2nd Oyo State Special Sports where 60 wheel chairs were distributed. (April, 2013)
• The Oyo State Female Basketball Team got promoted to the Zenith Bank National League (January 2013)
• Crown F.C returned to Soun Stadium Ogbomosho for their home league matches. (January 2013)
• The State won the 1st Medal at the just concluded National Sports festival. (December 2012)
• The State produced the youngest medalist at the National Sports Festival ‘Eko 2012’ in line with our Grassroots Sports development. (December 2012)
• The State Basketball team reached the finals at the Sports Festival breaking a 21 year jinx. (December 2012)
•Support to the CCII Ibadan Cup i.e. donation of Trophies, Football and Soccer boots. (November 2012)
• Held the 1st Ever Shooting Stars Ex Players Forum (November 2012)
• Support to the Late Chief Lekan Salami Memorial Cup. i.e. donation of Trophy, Football and Soccer boots (November 2012)
• Oyo State Basketball team returned to the Nigerian Premier League after 13 years and came third after qualifying for the top four (4). (October 2012)
• Successful hosting of the Zonal Elimination for Eko 2012 where Oyo State qualified for the highest number of games in recent history.(October 2012)
• Ensured massive turnouts at home matches for Shooting Stars Sports Club which resulted in a tremendous increase in the profit of the club and made the club realize almost 300% of the approved revenue target as at September 2012 thereby enhancing revenue generation of Oyo State
• Re –Grassed the Soun Stadium Pitch.(November 2012)
• Yakubu Adesokan’s world record breaking feat at the last London Paralympics. (September,2012)
•Financial support to Individuals (Ex-Stars), Associations and Sports Organizations.
• Hosted the 1st Ever Softball and Baseball Clinic in Nigeria
•Sponsorship of the Oyo State Under 17 Academicals team to South Carolina, USA (July, 2012).
•Successful hosting of the Maiden Edition of the National Academicals Football Competition organized by National Academicals Sports Committee (NASCOM) and won by the Oyo State Team which qualified them to represent Nigeria at South Carolina (July 2012)
• Organised the 1st Ever Oyo State Job and Entrepreneurship Youth Fair where hundreds of youth were employed by companies. (July 2012)
• Embarked on the second phase of the NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp Iseyin (New Dawn II)
•Resuscitated and Rebranded 1st Edition of the Governor’s Cup Competition among Secondary Schools in the State. (May 2012)
•Regular payment of Salaries of both players and Technical Crew of Shooting Stars Sports Club and Crown FC.
• Automatic employment as well as enrolment into feeders’ team; of two sons of a 3SC fan who died during one of the club premiership matches.
•Completion of the remodeling/renovation of the Lekan Salami Sports Complex Main Bowl. (July 2012).
•Completion of the 1st phase of the NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp, Iseyin which includes 2 Hostel blocks, Commandants’ quarters, Directors’ quarters and some sporting facilities. (New Dawn) (May 2012).
•Secured a 7 –Bedroom apartment as Club Hostel for Players and Technical Crew to cut wasteful spending on Hotel bills by Shooting Stars Sports Club (December 2011).
• 12Million Naira (12M) Sponsorship deal with Dubic Lager Beer( A brand of Guinness Nigeria PLC) First of its kind in the history of Shooting Stars Sports Club (April 2012)
• 100 % increase in reward for the Port Harcourt 2011 Medal winning athletes. (August 2012)
• Procurement of a 30- seater Coaster Bus, an 18 –seater Hiace Bus and 2 KIA Cerato Saloon Cars to ease transportation problems bedeviling the Shooting Stars Sports Club (December 2011)
• Support to the Oyo State Bankers’ Soccer Competition. (2011)
• Organized the Maiden Edition of Special Sports Competition where wheel chairs were distributed to winners. (Nov 2011)
• Successful Organization of the 1st Ever 3SC/Crown FC Stakeholder’s Forum (Nov 2011)
•Completion of the rehabilitation of Squash Hall at Lekan Salami Sports Complex (Nov 2011)
•Youth Empowerment Programme where youth were empowered. (August 2011)
• Prof E.B Lucas’ Project Fund Award for 2003/2004 session.
• Honorary Award of Excellence by Nigerian Model United Nation Society (NIGMUNS) (July, 2011.)
• Merit Award by Agodi Lions Club, District 404B Nigeria. (13th November, 2011.)
• Award of Excellence as Senior Advocate of the Youth by Centre for Youth Initiative on Self Education (CEYISED). (16th November, 2011.)
•National Association of Nigerian students (NANS) Outstanding Service Award in commemoration of the 70th Anniversary of International Students Day. (17th November, 2011.)
• Oyo State Bankers’ Forum Award of Excellence (February 2012)
• Award of Honour to a Dynamic Political Youth Leader by the Department of Educational Management, Lead City University. (17th May, 2012.)
• Honorary Award by Nigerian Baseball and Softball Association Inc. (July, 2012.)
• Award of Honour by National Association of Polytechnic Engineering Students, the Polytechnic Ibadan Chapter. (31st August, 2012)
• Award of Excellence by Olori Hall of Residence, the Polytechnic, Ibadan.
• Award of Excellence as War Marshal for sterling Contribution in the development of Youth in the state by Man ‘O’ War, Oyo state command. (1st September, 2012.)
• Award of Achievement for Outstanding and Honourable Effort to the development of Youth and Sport in Oyo state by Inner city Circle Club, London. (1st September, 2012)
• Award of Honour in Recognition of Outstanding Contribution to the development of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Oyo state by the Association of Graduate Students of Political Science, University of Ibadan.
• Special Recognition by NASCOM.
• Award of Excellence as the Young Personality of the Year by the Agricultural and Environmental Engineering Students’ Society. (21st September, 2012).
• Vocational Excellence Award by the Rotary Club of Ibadan- Forestry R.I District 9125 Nigeria.
• 2012 Advocate of Peace by the National Youth Council of Nigeria, Oyo State Chapter. (6th November, 2012).
• Award of recognition of belief in politics without bitterness by Ebony Herald International Magazine and Motunrayo Peace Foundation (24th November, 2012).
• Award of Excellence as Distinguished Youth Ambassador of the Year by the Nigerian Universities Nursing Students’ Association, Lautech Chapter. (12th Dec 2012).
• Award of Recognition by the Organization for Youth Empowerment. (16th December, 2012).
• Award of Special Guest of Honour at the 8th biennial Inter-House Sports competition of Vale College, Ibadan. (13th of February, 2013).
• Award of Honour by Blissful International School, Apata, Ibadan. (5th March, 2013).
• Award of Participation by Oasis International School, Odo-Ona Elewe, Ibadan. (14th March, 2013).
• Grassroots Sports Award for Excellence by Discovery Sports Federation. (March, 2013).
• Award by Splash FM/ICPC Integrity Marathon Race. (24th March, 2013).
• Award of Recognition by EZ37 Solutions. (June, 2013).
• Excellent Service Award by The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) (2013).
• Appreciation Award by the African Lads Brigade and African Lasses Brigade Nigeria.
Award of Excellence for an exemplary contribution towards youth development by Broadnet Foundation (Oct 2013).
Peace Ambassador by the Universal peace federation. (Dec 2013).