Some Muslim parents whose daughters were banned by the authority of the University of Ibadan International School from wearing Hijab (head scarf) have returned to court to enforce what they termed as fundamental human rights of their wards in line with their religious belief.
The Hijab controversy became a public issue in November last year when the parents under the banner of UI-ISI Muslim Parents’ Forum petitioned the University of Ibadan, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) UI who doubled as Chairman of the board of Governors of the school; the school principal, Mrs. Phebean Olowe and the school for disallowing female Muslim students in the school to wear Hijab.
The crisis generated a lot of arguments for and against from parents, students, academic and other stakeholders, the development which led to the shutting of the school for a week.
The Muslim parents on behalf of their wards later approached an Oyo state High Court in Ibadan, asking it to mandate the school to allow their wards to use Hijab on top of their school uniforms.
However, Justice Ladiran Akintola of the State High Court 9, on Tuesday, June 25, 2019, struck out the fundamental human rights suit filed by the parents on behalf of their wards.
Akintola in his ruling, premised his judgement on the fact that the section of the constitution on human rights issues should be filed individually and not collectively as done by the parents.
The Muslim parents while speaking on Sunday, said that they had complied with the court directive to file their matters separately.
Chairman, Muslim Parents’ Forum of the School, Alhaji Abdurahman Balogun while speaking with journalists, said that the applicants have now complied with the court directive to file the matter individually.
Balogun said, “We are back in court. This is to inform you all that sequel to court directive to file the matter individually as regards Fundamental Human Rights, we had since complied and new cases assigned as follows:
(1) Fareedah Moshood vs UI is on Monday 19 Aug 2019 at High Court main premises ring road before a vacation judge;
(2) Hamdallah Olosunde vs UI is coming on 20-8-19 before court 17 Iyaganku;
(3) Iman Akinoso vs UI is coming on 20-8-19 before court 17 Iyaganku;
(4) Raheemah Akinlusi vs UI is coming on 21-8-19 before court 17 Iyaganku;
(5) Ikhlas Badru vs UI is coming on 21-8-19 before court 17 Iyaganku;
(6) Mahmudah Babarinde vs UI is on 27 Aug 2019 at high court main premises ring road before a vacation judge;
(7) Aakifah Dokpesi vs UI is on 27 Aug 2019 at High Court main premises Ring Road before a vacation judge and
(8) Aaliyah Dokpesi vs UI is on 27 Aug 2019 at High Court main premises Ring Road before a vacation judge.