Following the killing of two people at the All Progressives Congress, APC, campaign in Igboora, headquarters of Ibarapa Central local government of Ibarapaland, all political parties have come together to allege a former council chairman and House of Representatives candidate on the banner of the APC, Hon. Demola Ojo, as being the mastermind of the attack.
OYO INSIGHT had reported how two people were killed while many people injured when the APC brought its campaign to the community last week.
Ojo, who was chairman of Ibarapa Central and chairman of the Association of Local Government Of Nigeria, ALGON, during the administration of former governor Adebayo Alao-Akala, recently joined the APC.
Operating under the banner of Congress of Ibarapa Party Leaders, they said Ojo brought violence into the politics of the zone.
Congress of Ibarapa Party Leaders
Ibarapa Central Local Government
Phones: 09033273940, 0805461930 and 09031264622
The Inspector General of Police Force Headquarters
REPORT OF VIOLENT ATTACK ON THE ENTIRE PEOPLE OF IBARAPA CENTRAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT BY APC HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES CANDIDATE AND HIS PARTY
As law abiding citizens and leaders of political parties in Ibarapa Central Local Government, we would like to report the attack and murder on our law abiding citizens to you. The attacks occurred during the electioneering rally of APC held at the old motor park, Igboora.On Saturday February 2nd, 2019, the governorship rally of APC was held at the old motor park with violent display of firearms and dangerous weapons.
Because of apparent rejection of the party, the thugs started attacking the billboards and posters of all other political parties in the local government.
Apart from the destruction of banners, billboards and posters, guns were freely fired directly to any building or direction where signs of other political parties were seen as well as residences of known none APC members. The attacks were led personally by Ademola Ojo which is his characteristic manner. He was seen carrying a pistol. He was assisted by his Chief thug Jamiyu Babatunde Akintayo (aka Zego) of Olukosi compound Saganun, Igboora. Zego was seen at the rally carrying dangerous knives and gun. He led the thugs to collect money openly from the APC governorship candidate, Chief Bayo Adelabu.
In the process, at least two people were killed by stray bullets. They are Mr Dele Salawu of Arapayagi’s compound Iberekodo and Mr Afeez Oyeniyi of Ogunsolu compound, Isale Oba, Igboora. Several others received various degrees of injuries and gunshots. Although the DPO and his team visited the family of Dele Salawu on Sunday February 3rd, 2019, we are sure they went to do the bidding of Ademola Ojo.
Our collective decision to bring this to your notice is to have justice done to the dead, the bereaved and prevent a bigger calamity that is being prepared for the Election Day by Hon. Ademola Ojo, the APC House of Representatives candidate.
Members of PDP in this local government have been attacked many times by Ademola Ojo since campaigns started two months ago but no actions were taken by the DPO. This is because the DPO has been residing at Ademola Ojo’s hotel for free in the last two years. He has been totally compromised. Some of the proofs of his compromise are:
▪ On January 9th, 2019 thugs of Ademola Ojo vandalized all billboards of PDP candidates in Idere during the APC courtesy visit to the palace of Onidere of Idere land. Members of PDP were also matchetted and attacked with guns. Reports were made to the DPO but no arrests were made.
▪ The head of Ademola Ojo’s thugs, One Mr Jamiyu (aka Zego) has been attacking people all over the town without being arrested by the police. One of such occurred on January 18th 2019 when one Waliu was stabbed many times by Zego and his team opposite Panta compound Iberekodo, Igboora. The police picked the injured to the hospital but refused to make any arrests because of Ademola’s intervention.
▪ On January 25th, members of PDP were attacked and campaign buses vandalized by APC thugs led by Ademola Ojo. Reports were lodged with the DPO but no action was taken to date.
▪ We have also been reliably informed of Ademola Ojo’s plans with some highly placed police officers to arrest some candidates and party leaders few days to election to weaken our strengths. Your protection is hereby sought
History of Violence
There has never been any history of political violence in Ibarapa land until Ademola Ojo came into politics in 2002.
▪ He contested the chairmanship of Ibarapa Central Local government in 2002. He used regular and fake police to rig the election by sporadic shootings with his thugs dressed in police and military uniforms. His opponent then, Engr. Tunji Adeegbe was arrested on Election Day and tormented. Many people were hit by stray bullets.
▪ In December 2007, he used police to rig election again. The car of his opponent in the race, Yemi Akinlabi was attacked. He fired the gunshot that hit one Jelili Ayoade in the car. Several others were also hit by accidental bullets.
Ademola Ojo and his party leaders have been boasting around that the attack of yesterday is nothing compared with what will happen on the election days. We have decided to bring this to your attention before we resort to self help. We have the right to protect our lives.
Alhaji Muruf Ogunbiyi Chairman, ADC
Alhaji Azeez Abiola Chairman, PDP
Alhaji Fatai Olaniyan Chairman, ADP
Mr Lateef Okegbemi Chairman, SDP
Mr Musibau Eesuola Chairman, ZLP
1) The Commissioner of Police, Oyo State, Ibadan
2) The Director, DSS. Ibadan
3) The Resident Electoral Commissioner, INEC Ibadan 4) The Area Commander, Nigeria Police, Eruwa
5) The Officer in Charge, DSS Igboora
6) The DPO, Igboora
7) Ibarapa Central Traditional Council, Igboora