The South West zone of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Friday appointed a six man reconciliation committee to look into thorny issues within the party.
The six man committee chaired by a chieftain of the party in Oyo State, Engr Femi Babalola, popularly known as Jogor, consists of a member from each state in the zone.
The constitution of the reconciliation committee was one of the resolutions reached at the end a zonal meeting of the party held in Lagos. The meeting had in attendance various chieftains of the party including Ibadan strongman, Alhaji Adebisi Olopoeyan.
The party also constituted a five-man committee to look into the abysmal performance of its flag bearer at recently held gubernatorial election in Ondo State, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede.
A communique issued at the end of the meeting read:
We leaders of the Party gathered in a meeting in Lagos to deliberate on the affairs of our Party, reposition it for greater success hereby resolves as follows;
(1) We take due notice of the efforts of the National Working Committee geared towards sustaining our great Party and extending its frontiers across the nation and commend it for its dedication and commitment to the Party.
We particularly congratulate them for the victory of the Party in the last gubernatorial election in Edo State.
(2)That sequel to (1) above, we also commend and congratulate Gov Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, who was the Chairman of Edo State Campaign Committee and his team for their competence, commitment, dexterity and successful management of the Edo State election.
We also pointedly underscore the fact that the approach and attitude to the prosecution of their Assignments was the required catalyst for the Party’s success.
We also congratulate the people of that State for voting the PDP.
(3) That we note very sadly the abysmally woeful performance of the Party in the last gubernatorial election in Ondo State. We declare that it is disappointing that we lost that election so colossally in a State where we won the Presidential election, two Senators and three House of Representative seats in 2019.
This loss runs contrary to the trend of recent success attained in such elections in (a) Oyo which we successfully won in 2019 (b) Osun which we won outstandingly but was irresponsibly hijacked by the APC controlled Federal Government through criminal abuse of privileges and (c) Ekiti that was hijacked.
Therefore, it is resolved that a Five man Panel is hereby set up to sturdy, assess and identify factors responsible for this unprecedented woeful performance in Ondo State and submit its report within a month.
Members of the Panel are as follows;
(1) Chief Bola Olu-Ojo–Chairman
(2) Hon Mike Ogunlade
(3)Dr Lere Oyewunmi
(4)Otunba Femi Carena
(5) Chief Mrs Mujidat Balogun
This Panel must examine all issues relating to election planning, management and prosecution; identify all lapses and make useful recommendations to prevent such shoddy performances in the future.
The Panel’s report will be submitted to NWC for further actions.
(4) We also note that a group of people are beginning to introduce intra Party violence within the Zone. This ugly development which possess the capability to destroy amity, unity and comradeship within the Party must be checked at once.
In view of this, the National Working Committee is hereby encouraged to take stringent actions against identified sponsors of such actions.
Therefore the Panel report detailing all incidences of violence and their sponsors will be forwarded to the NWC for further action.
(5) We are aware of the fact that the Zonal Congress will hold in due course, thus the report of the Committee on Zoning of Executive positions was received and deliberated upon; therefore positions are zoned as follows; (a) Ondo– National Vice Chairman and Zonal Publicity Secretary;
(b) Osun– Zonal Secretary and Zonal Legal Adviser; (c) Ogun– Zonal Organizing Secretary and Zonal Woman Leader; (d) Oyo– Zonal Auditor and Zonal Youth Leader; (e) Ekiti– Zonal Treasurer; (f) Lagos– Zonal Financial Secretary.
All the States will contribute additional Ex-Officio members to the Zonal Executive.
(6) In view of the fact that we place high premium on solidarity and comradeship amidst the leadership and membership of the Party, we hereby set up a Committee of Six, with a member from all the States in the Zone. Members are (1)Engr Femi Babalola–Chairman
(2) Chief Kolapo Ogunjobi
(3)Barr Ahmed Okandeji Mustapha
(4) Chief Idowu Odeyemi
(5) Chief Tunde Akindehin
(6) Prince Diran Odeyemi– Secretary
The Terms of References shall include reconciliation of thorny issues within the Party, crisis settlement and all other sundry issues that may arise.
(7) We also wish to encourage the National Working Committee to be ready to discipline errant member(s) of the Party that deliberately take any action that may compromise the peace and interest of the Party in the South West; irrespective of position, status and privileges.
It is only when discipline is enforced that the Party will continue to grow and attain success.
(8) As responsible Party Leaders, we recognize the fact that the National Working Committee remains the ultimate authority over the Party and as such trust in its competence to address all issues and matters developing within the Party, as such hold firmly and trust that it will not share its sacrosanct responsibilities with anybody or group.
Therefore we shall seek audience with it in respect of developments within the Party.
This Communique is signed by–
(1) Hon Bisi Kolawole- State Chairman Ekiti State.
(2) Hon Sikirulai Ogundele- State Chairman, Ogun State
(3) Engr Deji Doberty– State Chairman Lagos State
(4) Elder Sunday Akanfe Deputy State Chairman Osun State
Communique also signed by the following members of the Zonal Caretaker Committed
1) Hon Daisi Akitan – Zonal Secretary
2) Hon Mustapha Sikiru Banana
3)Hon Martins Abiloye
4) Prince Nekan Olagbegi
5)Mrs Funmi Ogun
6) Hon Wahab Owokoniran
6)Mrs Fadeyi Ayo Awolowo.