Few hours after Governor Abiola Ajimobi said that he was going to adopt consensus option in choosing the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, some concerned elders in the party, have advised against the method.
According to them, imposition will further polarize the party.
Meeting under the aegis of Team 33, they advised Ajimobi to instead of imposing the consensus option on the candidates, he should form a Peace and Conciliation Advisory Committee that would meet with the Aspirants.
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF TEAM 33
( A BODY OF CONCERNED MEMBERS OF A.P.C IN OYO STATE) CONSENSUS WILL LEAD TO CONFUSION
1. An emergency meeting of our Body was today held at the Oke-Ado, Ibadan Residence of our state Co-ordinator to deliberate on the Decision of Oyo State Governor, Sen. Abiola Ajimobi to adopt the Consensus method of picking candidates to fly the flag of our Party during next year’s general elections.
2. Members critically analysed the Consensus option and weighed the consequences.
3. Members came to the conclusion that the option is self serving and detrimental to the success of the party at the forthcoming polls.
4. Members were unanimous in their analysis that the Consensus option will lead to Confusion among the Aspirants and party members.
5. That the Consensus option will further polarise and destroy the already fractured system of the party in the state.
6. That the Consensus option is undemocratic and has lead to the destruction of democratic systems in times past.
7. The Body hereby advise that Gov. Abiola Ajimobi should as a matter of urgency shelve the ideas of using Consensus option in picking candidates for the 2019 Elections.
8. That he should allow a level playing ground for all Aspirants willing to throw their hats in the ring by making use of either Direct or Indirect option.
9. That Governor Abiola Ajimobi should please note that he is also a Candidate in this election hence he cannot be an umpire in his own election.
10. That Governor Abiola Ajimobi should allow a Level playing ground in the Oyo South Senatorial Primary Election as an aspirant that he is and not as a sitting Governor as practised in Civilised Democracies all over the world.
11. Team 33 further advised that all candidates irrespective of Status should be allowed to go for Primary Election in a free and fair manner.
12. That instead of Imposing the Consensus option on the Candidates, Governor Abiola Ajimobi should form a Peace and Conciliation Advisory Committee that would meet with the Aspirants and ensure that they sign a Peace Pact to support candidates that emerge from a free and fair Primary Election.
13. Finally, the Body commended the Governor for his giant strides in keeping the name of our great party in Gold in the last 7years and urged him to thread carefully in this last quarter of his sojourn as the representative of the Party because at the expiration of his tenure, he will be required to render account of his stewardship and according to a wise saying, “It is not how far, but how well”.
A stitch in time, saves nine.
For Oyo South Senatorial District:
For Oyo Central Senatorial District:
For Oyo North Senatorial District